Monday, March 12, 2007

He Feeds the Birds

I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread.
He is ever lending generously, and his children become a blessing.

--Psalm 37:25-26, ESV

Devotional:

When I was an infant, my Dad was pastor of a church in a tiny town in western Oklahoma. He was somewhat concerned about one of the church members, Mrs. Cuberly, because she was so generous to us and to others. She and her husband opened a flower shop, but she gave away so many flowers that they didn't make enough money to stay open. We left that town when I was not yet two, but about 14 or 15 years later we went back through that area. Dad found Mrs. Cuberly, now a widow, working as the live-in caretaker of another woman. She insisted on giving some money to me and to each of my two brothers. Dad said, "Now, Mrs. Cuberly, you really can't afford to do that."

She replied, "Oh, yes, I can. I came into a little oil."

After all of those years, she was still giving, but her supply of funds had not totally run out.

Do you ever worry about whether you or your friends will survive financially? If so, take to heart the words of King David. In a normal lifetime, you won't see the children of the righteous having to beg for bread. Why not? Because the Lord designed this universe in such a way that the righteous tend to have enough and to have something left over. The Lord provides for his people.

Prayer:

Lord, you're the source of every truly good thing. Forgive me for worrying. Deepen my faith in you. Thank you that you've already figured out how to provide for me and for my family, all the days of our lives.

The Lord who feeds each little bird
Will very surely keep his word.
He's promised that he will provide,
And I can trust him as my guide.
He'll never, never, ever fail.
His people surely will prevail
And live their lives to praise the Name
Of Him who'll always be the same.

No comments: