Thursday, July 05, 2007

Summer Evening

In Sunset Park
Approaching dark
Those many years ago
We children ran
Without a plan--
Except to move, to go.

The fireflies' light
Flashed dim - not bright.
I caught one, too, you know.
Then watched it blink
Another blink
And then I let it go.

The fountain pool
Looked still and cool
As night began to fall.
Then lights of blue
And red ones, too,
Came on to color all.

I've been away
Decades, I'll say,
From childhood's Sunset Park,
But I may find
It in my mind
As summer days get dark.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
--James 1:17, ESV

4 comments:

David Weller said...

This poem reminds me of childhood, and why we should embrace those of that young generation:

UP IN THE SKY

"Up in the sky!"
that's what he said...

The kites are swinging
they are singing
they touch the sky...

"Up in the sky!"
he shouted aloud...

Soaring to new heights
roaring in dog fights
they fly in the sky...


David

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks for the comment and for the poem. Did you write it?

David Weller said...

Yes, thanks. I've been an avocational poet for several years; I'm 45. Just edited/wrote a short Christian lyrical poetry book, but my only serious effort on secular poetry is a selection called Juxtapositions. May I be brave and submit poetspirit.org for further info.?

I enjoy following your blog! You have similar styles and interests.

Jim Swindle said...

Do continue using your good gift. I've looked at your Blogspot site, but not as much yet as I want. I've marked it so that new entries there will show up in my iGoogle page.

Yes, I'll hope to get a copy of one or both of your books.