Sunday, March 30, 2008

Communion - Christian Poem

Mystery of hope
Nourishing my soul--

Simplest bread and wine,
Now to me become
Jesus' body, blood;
Fullest cleansing mine.

Signs of sins all paid--
I am fully clean
And am heaven-bound,
Fresh and unafraid.

I am one with all
Who have turned from sin;
Saints who trust in him,
Heeding Jesus' call.


And as they were eating, he took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to them, and said, “Take; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, and they all drank of it. And he said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.”--Mark 14:22-24, ESV

NOTE: Christians disagree as to whether the bread and the wine are symbols of the body and blood of Jesus, or are literally the body and blood of Jesus, or are simultaneously both (that is, the bread becomes bread/body and the wine becomes wine/blood). I don't believe the bread and the wine cease to be bread and wine; I also don't believe in the continuing sacrifice of the mass. Jesus died once for all. Yet is the bread simultaneously also body, and the wine simultaneously also blood? Lutherans say yes; Baptists say no. I'm a Baptist, but suspect that the Lutherans are right on this one. However, I don't have to be sure of that. It is enough to be sure that in the simple act of eating the blessed bread and drinking from the blessed cup, with other believers, I meet Jesus in a way he has ordained. As I partake of the bread and of the wine, I partake of him and of his sacrifice.

6 comments:

C. Marie Byars said...

Right on! The best of Lutheran thinking on this matter just takes it as a mystery & for the forgiveness of sins!

CHARLAX said...

His namme is Jesus
His namme is Jesus

His namme is Jesus
KNOWLEDGE: What What
What is the beginning of wisdom it is to fear GOD the question precedes the answer at any given time and in this poem equation the ratio of non interference is combined with growing old in time and leaving mortal coil to Spirit Joy and will not question why or how just love and acceptance of the plan the plan revealed someday to be the life for all of us to live for all of us to love for knowledge comes down to all of us from GOD above and not from the mind of man. NO no man has ever seen the LORD in his created GLORY face to face and lived. The woman in the olden time the men who did disciple him came closer than most anyone to GOD. His namme is Jesus.

Joyce said...

I agree; we don't have to know everything now. It's meaningful on so many levels, everytime we partake.

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, Marie, for your comment. I'm learning.

Joyce, you're right.

C. Marie Byars said...

You're on a journey, for sure. I'm finally getting around to linking you to my CNP site! God Bless!

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, Marie.