Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Blind Leading the Blind: Juanita Bynum

I'll admit it...I read some gossip; the story of televangelist Juanita Bynum's upcoming appearance on the TV show Divorce Court. There are several sad things about this story, but perhaps the saddest is that Ms. Bynum, whose web site says she is "an internationally acclaimed Bible teacher, prophet, recording artist and media personality," does not base her thinking on the Bible. She was certainly in a bad marriage. Police reported that in a public altercation her preacher husband choked her, pushed her down, kicked her and stomped her.

Bynum said she would always love Weeks [her husband], but made a decision to "love me more." What about loving God more than either husband or self?

She said suicide crossed her mind, but "I didn't because the name Bynum represents a legacy of people that have gone before me and had I done that I would have given too much power to an individual to not just wipe me out but to wipe out the integrity of the legacy I was born in." What about the fact that suicide is a violation of one of the Lord's ten commandments, "You shall not murder"?

She surely has a right to try to protect herself from physical abuse, but she has no right to call herself a Bible teacher when she doesn't apply the Bible to a deep crisis in her life.

May the Lord have mercy on her and on her husband, leading them to repentance.

Father, raise up workers for your harvest fields...workers who are genuine servants of yours, ablaze with truth, filled with your pure Spirit, speaking the message of Jesus not for money, not for fame, but for your glory.

No comments: