Thursday, April 10, 2008

For Ed - Christian Poem

Note: A day or two ago, I was taking photos and came across a man who'd just finished mowing the lawns around some businesses. We started visiting. His name is Ed. We spoke mostly about business-related things. I told him that I write poems, but don't make my living from them. Before leaving him, I told him that everyone needs Jesus and needs a good church. It turns out that he's got a good church, but hasn't been going lately. He said that as he came out of his shed earlier with the mower, the word "poem" kept going through his head for some reason. He figured God had sent me to him.

Pray that Ed and his family will worship with God's people this Sunday.

________________________

We grow and flourish like the grass,
But swift as birds, our days all pass
Beyond today to yesterday
Where they will not return our way.
We've spent them building up a life;
In search of dollars or a wife.
But when our days on earth are done,
Our only hope will be God's Son.
If we've not trusted him by grace,
We'll shrink in terror at his face.
But those who truly trust him now,
Well-blessed before him, then will bow
Receiving all their great reward
And hearing "well-done" from their Lord.


And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left.
--Matthew 25:33

2 comments:

BunnyGirl said...

HI Jim.

It's been a while since I last visited so took the opportunity today to catch up on your posts. As ever you have such wonderful words to encourage us all to press on into God. I will also check out my fellow Brit, Mike, to see what his poems are like. Loved that clip you put in your post.

Your wife's photos of the flowers are gorgeous. It reminded me of when the bluebells come out over here in April. I must get to the cliff paths so I can take some for you to see.

Take care
Caroline

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, Caroline.

I'm thankful that you're persisting in the Lord and growing in him. Your post about the first love challenges me.