Saturday, April 19, 2008

Lost Creativity - A Christian Poem


I left my creativity somewhere,
And can't remember just where.
Was it at work?
Did it slide under my desk, a shy, slithery snake?
Or did I drop it in the garden
Between the eager lettuce and the prim parsley?
Maybe it was on the road--
Went spinning off like a loose hubcap.

No, none of those,
And it didn't morph into a UFO
And sail to one of William Shatner's worlds.

No, I remember now.
The Lord said he had a fresh supply for me.
He sounded eager to show it to me,
But I got busy and forgot to pick it up.

Because of the LORD's faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end.
They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness!

--Lamentations 2:22,23, CSB

You do not have because you do not ask. You ask and don't receive because you ask wrongly, so that you may spend it on your desires for pleasure.
--James 4:2-3 CSB

4 comments:

C. Marie Byars said...

Nice thought. I rarely feel the "inspiration" to write poetry anymore. I do other things (among them, translating Biblical poetry to get a more poetic "feel" out of it), but I haven't written original poetry in so long. Like Hopkins, that well seems dry right now.

Jim Swindle said...

I often think I'm running out of things to say in poetry. Then, once I give up on writing, the start of another poem comes to me.

Translating Biblical poetry is a wonderful thing. I'm glad you're up to it. Years ago I took Greek from Doug Moo and Hebrew from Gleason Archer. I'm not proficient in Hebrew; barely in Greek, but that's not the fault of my professors.

BunnyGirl said...

Oh I think this just made my day. Glad I'm not the only one who seems to go through a dry patch. This says it all. I seem to go through seasons of writing. Just about to enter another one I feel. Been scribbling down thoughts of late.
Jim, you're a star, thank you for your wonderful poetry, your encouragement and your witness and heart.

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, the Lord has the right to give us things to say or to withhold them. I'm glad you're scribbling. I hope the Lord allows you to keep it up, and enables you in it. I find that when I write more often, it's easier to write.

Try writing about a photo, or a scene, or a Bible verse, or a particularly emotional experience...happy or sad or exciting. Try writing about different aspects of the Lord and of his truth.

Then stop writing each time he tells you it's time to pause. I'm tempted to press on at times when I should quit.