Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cleaning Supplies - Christian Poem / Prayer



Thank you, Lord, for cleaning supplies--
Brooms and mops,
Soap and water,
Buckets and sponges and cloths.

Thank you for our daily need to clean things,
Reminding us that only you
Can cleanse our hearts or our world.

Yet our lives can help you clean things.
Use us as you choose,
For cleaning toilets or cultures,
Houses or hearts.

Then keep us in the corner of your house,
Beautified and sanctified
By the one who made us and who uses us.

Amen

Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin!
...
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

--Psalm 51:2,7, ESV

For a day in your courts
is better than a thousand elsewhere.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of wickedness.

--Psalm 84:10, ESV

7 comments:

Charles E. Whisnant said...

Having been in housekeeping for over twenty years, pastoring churches for twenty years, I found this post rather nice. Thanks

Charles

Jim Swindle said...

I'm glad it spoke to you. It's always amazing how the Lord can speak through us in ways we don't expect, or can touch a need that we didn't know was there.

Charles E. Whisnant said...

Jim

I note that you started on Blogger the same time I started. Neat.

I have struggled over the years about having to work another job other than just pastoring and preaching/teaching. But really its being a blessing. To reach the lost and unchurch has being really a blessing.

I would like to use the poem over at by Blogger.

I enjoy your site

Thanks

Charles

Jim Swindle said...

Hi, Charles. You're welcome to use the poem and/or the photo at your blog. I would ask that you include the copyright notice (see the bottom of my blog). Basically, I'm merely trying to retain the rights for any for-profit republication or mass distribution. Here's the line:

Photo and text © James L. Swindle. Used by permission. Non-profit printing of up to 100 copies is permitted, so long as it includes this notice.

As for doing a "regular" full-time job while pastoring, I never did that. I was a not-very-good full-time pastor for a few years. Since then I've worked a full-time job; have not been officially a pastor, but think I may be more spiritually useful.

Myra said...

We feel good about things when we clean them up. When we are cleansed by God, we feel good.

C. Marie Byars said...

Martin Luther said, "The life of a Christian is a life of repentance." This seems akin.

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, Marie and Myra. It's almost always encouraging to receive a comment.