Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Lessons from a Hurricane



Photo: Downed trees. The grass around one juts up sideways, clinging to the roots. The other leans on a shed that it crushed. The photo was taken from my yard, but I had no trees down, only a fence.

Hurricane Ike is past. Our nine days without electricity are over. (Thank you, Lord, for a generator that we could use for partial power.) Our house is OK. What have I learned from all of this? Here is some of it.

I learned how shallow my faith is. I didn't handle the hurricane well. I worried. I WORRIED. I forgot to lean on the rock. I worried before the storm. I worried during the storm. I worried after the storm. I was hit by doubts that scared me.

I learned how much I need the Lord's people. My faith feeds on the faith of others. The Bible mentions "not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." (Hebrews 10:25)

I learned how selfish I can be. Most of the time, I wanted to help my own family and didn't much care what was happening to others. When I did try to be useful to others, it brought me joy.

I learned what a blessing it is to relate to an adult child in a crisis. Our son was consistently a blessing to us.

I learned that when people are without electricity, a neighborhood is safer. With lots of neighbors outside much of the time, there wasn't really a need to be sure every door and window was locked when leaving for awhile.

I learned that the Lord is merciful in the midst of storms, and that when my faith is weak, his grip on me is still strong.

No comments: