Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Who Will You Be This Halloween?

From Blog08

There will be lots of costuming over the next few days. More important than the Halloween costumes are the "costumes" we wear every day. We try to look elegant or strong or beautiful or tough or prim or sexy. Yet, so often, what we try to portray doesn't fit our real nature any better than the outfit in the photo fits the nature of the one wearing it. We want to be Dorothy or the Wizard, but we're really more like Toto.

I no longer participate in Halloween, since I see it as more harmful than helpful, but too often I'm not all that I want people to think I am.

May this post serve as a simple reminder that we need integrity; our insides need to match our outsides, and vice-versa.


Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden [part] thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

--Psalm 51:6, KJV

Photo and poem ©2008 James L. Swindle

2 comments:

Myra said...

I don't like Halloween. I didn't like it before, but since it was Halloween when our son died, (actually Nov. 1st since it was after midnight) it is really something that is repulsive.

On a positive note, I really liked your thoughts here on matching who you are. I love dogs; this photo is great in getting your point across. Did you take the picture?

Do you have a book published of your poetry?

Jim Swindle said...

May the Lord give you and your husband abounding grace this weekend.

I took the dog photo at the annual Pet Fest in Old Town Spring, Texas. A Samoyed had on a pale blue tutu. A bulldog was dressed as a pirate.

As for published poetry, the only thing I've published so far is the book of children's poems. I need to start sending samples of these poems to a few publishers. Thanks for asking.