Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Wrong God - Christian Poem



Your god, your trust, the one you made,
The one you serve and lift up high above yourself,
Is just a lie.

The living God exists; was never made
By human will or human hands or human tools.
He is the truth.

Which god, my friend, will you now choose to serve...
The one you made, the one reflecting you?
Or him who is the truth?

They are turned back and utterly put to shame,
who trust in carved idols,
who say to metal images, "You are our gods."

--Isaiah 42:17, ESV

For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols, but the LORD made the heavens.
--Psalm 96:5, ESV

"Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, you survivors of the nations! They have no knowledge who carry about their wooden idols, and keep on praying to a god that cannot save. Declare and present your case; let them take counsel together! Who told this long ago? Who declared it of old? Was it not I, the LORD? And there is no other god besides me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none besides me.
"Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other..."

--Isaiah 45:20-22, ESV

Photo and poem ©2008 James L. Swindle

2 comments:

C. Marie Byars said...

I liked the thought on costumes & being false. That's sort of a substrain in your pastor's comment. We butt up into that all the time, with my husband being a clergyman. He & I would both much rather deal with the "poor bloke" who comes wretched & having done something he knows is awful than the carefully groomed & properly coiffed image-making of many middle to upper-middle class faithful church-attenders. But we must deal with it all & know God loves both sorts & that they will hopefull both grow!

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

A great big Greek AMEEN! for this excellent poem. I am just as we say in slang Greek an "idhiotis megalis"… that is, I just know what is mine, and what is mine is the Word of God and the testimony of Jesus, and I'm not ashamed to own up to it before the world, even if they think me a fool. Thanks for this poem and the prophetic words.