Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Morning

From Blog08

Pumpkin pie baked to golden crust in well-used Pyrex
Turkey preparation
Autumn leaves of umber and gold and green and orange red
Prepare to slumber in the earth
Anticipation of family meal
A million things to thank God for...

And one hole in my heart
For the parting
  The slicing apart
  Of some of those whom I love.
Will we ever see them again?

And another hole in my heart
For the blindness
  The stubborn-mindedness
  Of others who have no use for my Lord.
Will they choose a hell instead of heaven?

Lord of all, have mercy.
I love your justice
And your provision
And I thank you for them,
But have mercy.


Poem ©2008 James L. Swindle

2 comments:

Myra said...

It's hard to watch people suffer by their own choices. I want to "fix" things for them, but I can't. I have seen God work miracles in the attitudes of others.
I looked at some of your photos on the web host site a few weeks ago. You have some great work! I was impressed. Do you take your camera everywhere with you or do you just go out for photo shoots in mind?

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, Myra, for the encouragement. Yes, I've learned that I can't fix people. I tried to fix everyone for decades.

Thanks for your encouragement about the photos also. It means more since it comes from you and I really, really respect your work. I started photography as a hobby after my daughter gave me a cell phone that could take photos. I later upgraded to a better model. Last summer I upgraded from a cell phone to a pocket Nikon Coolpix Ll8. I usually have it with me. Sometimes my wife and I do go for photo expeditions. Some of her photos are better than mine. I have not yet persuaded her to put them online.

Do you carry your camera almost everywhere?