Sunday, February 08, 2009

Which Gospel?

From Blog09

Yesterday a certain group came to my door. They wanted to tell me that Jesus returned in the year 1914, that Jesus is not God, and that only their organization has the truth. There are other groups that seem either more or less confused, each with its own "gospel."

There's a positive gospel that puffs people's pride
And tells them they're naturally good down inside.
There's a negative gospel that's rooted in law,
With rules that it claims can avoid every flaw.
There's a compromised gospel with nothing unique--
With Buddha, Muhammad and Jesus to seek.
There's a gospel in white for the folks who are white
That tells them they're better, that might is their right.
There's a gospel in black for folks who are black
That tells them they need to be proud and fight back.
But the only true gospel is found when we look
And believe in the Jesus we find in God's Book.

I marvel that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ to a different "good news"; and there isn't another "good news." Only there are some who trouble you, and want to pervert the Good News of Christ. But even though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you any "good news" other than that which we preached to you, let him be cursed.
--Galatians 1:6-8, WEB


Poem and photo ©2009 James L. Swindle
http://vineandfig.blogspot.com

4 comments:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Amen and Amen! Brother, you put it very well in this short poem.

What to do about "these hawkers of haloes and stoners of flesh, who cannot distinguish the stale from the fresh"?

It amazes me how quickly people can be turned from the Truth, that is Jesus as He is revealed in His Word, and spin for themselves tales that glorify human thinking and exalt the flesh!

As for me, I am always willing to admit that what I think I know is quite wrong and should be corrected; but as for Whom I know, nothing can convince me of anything other than Him I know, Who never departs from me or abandons me, Him who is faithful beyond all men, who was dead and is Alive forever, who holds the keys of death and hades, the Son of God, Jesus Christ. Amín!

(Sorry if my Greek is showing. It comes out when I get riled up.)

The Postman said...

A brother recently shared Romans 1:25 that we have exchanged the truth for a lie.
And that lie is that God cannot be trusted, He does not love me.
God is trying to bring that trust back in us. The Gospel is God drawing me to HIM.
And now, a simple question ... what is your work?
software developer / doctor / engineer / carpenter ....?
What is God's work ... bring us back to this trust, this faith ..
suddenly this makes sense ..
Joh 6:29 Jesus answered and said to them, This is the work of God, that you believe on Him whom He has sent.
:-) I am grateful to that brother who did not hold back this profitable thing.
also posting a relevant link
http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/the_true_gospel_and_the_false.php

Jim Swindle said...

Brother Postman, I concluded years ago that the Lord's work is my real work; my daily job is my hobby that pays the bills. However, until recently I've not thought much about God's work in keeping us saved, how he repeatedly "restores my soul", as Psalm 23 puts it.

Jim Swindle said...

Brother Postman, I didn't fully answer your question about what is my work. I'm paid to work at a computer helpdesk at a major corporation. I've been there for years and enjoy it most of the time. The people there treat me very well and appreciate my work. But, as I said, my real work is the Lord's work.