Thursday, May 14, 2009

Manly Things

From Blog09


I sing a song of manly things:
Of risky jobs and sturdy boots,
Of bushy beards and business suits.
I sing of workers in a mine
And soldiers marching in a line,
Of playing soccer in the park
And being faithful in the dark.
I sing of prophets' fiery gleam
And fishing in a mountain stream,
Of big machines and bulging arms,
Of falling for a maiden's charms.
I sing of leadership that's strong
And gallantry as kind as song.
Whatever shape the outward part,
Thank God for manhood in the heart.

From Blog09

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
--Genesis 1:27

3 comments:

ambersun said...

I liked this one - all the sort of occupation lists and then just the final line tying it all together.

Thanks for your comments on my blog too.

God Bless

Amber

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Amazing, brother, just amazing!
A great poem!
Axios!

Jim Swindle said...

Thank you for the encouragement. Most of the poems I post are recent, but this poem about manly things is one I wrote in 1994 or 1995. Incidentally, this particular poem is public domain.