Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Lazarus

From Blog09

Sick to bone-depth,
To stone-death,
Lazarus lay.
Sisters pray
The Lord to come.
They hope for some
Miracle.

Faint turn of head--
Dear brother dead.
Now gnash of grief
Chomps their belief.
Wrap death--soft slips
Of cloth--sun dips;
Hope dies with sun
Since lacking one
Miracle.

Then Jesus came--
Wept, loved the same.
Came to cold grave
Stink-gruesome cave
Prayer like pure north...
Lazarus, come forth!
A shuffling sound,
One walking bound
Miracle.

[After Jesus prayed,] He shouted with a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!"
The dead man came out bound hand and foot with linen strips and with his face wrapped in a cloth. Jesus said to them, "Loose him and let him go."

--John 11:43-44, HCSB


My brother or sister, are you lacking one miracle today?
Have you given up hope?
Do you think the Lord no longer cares?
Does he seem absent from your need?
Then meditate on the story of Lazarus.


Poem and photo ©2009 James L. Swindle
Non-profit printing of up to 100 copies is permitted if you include this notice

2 comments:

ambersun said...

Lovely poem. It is always good to reflect on the miracles of Jesus.

I had my miracle yesterday - my cat doesn't have cancer and I praise God for that.

I also had a miracle last year when they changed my medication and I became a functioning human being rather than in and out of hospital all the time. Praise God for that too.

God Bless

Amber

Jim Swindle said...

I'm thankful for the Lord's work in your life. I'm thankful for your medicine and also for the medicine that helps me stay emotionally balanced. I take a very, very small dose, but that small dose seems to be a big help.

However, I want to make sure that my basic trust is in the Lord, not in the medicine.