Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thrown to the Lambs

From Blog09


Peter Thinks...

Among the fresh-lambed hills
Where salivate coyotes,
Where bears pillage,
    Lions prowl,
        Thieves walk
And wolves wear shepherds' garb--

Among the lambed unmanned hills,
Beside the sea of my failure,
    Of his success,
Jesus asks me, "Do you love me?
    Love me more than these?"
Zing! He knows my lying heart
That boasted brash above brothers
And lied, denied Him once...
    Twice...
        Thrice.

And yet--
    "Yes, Lord, You know that I love you."
Lying now won't do.
He asks again
And asks again.
    I answer yes
    And "Yes, you know my heart."
And He--my friend, now Lord--
He didn't cast me to the wolves.
In grace He threw me to the lambs.


When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs."

--John 21:15, ESV

Poem ©2009 James L. Swindle
Photo ©2009 Gail C. Swindle

2 comments:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

An incredible poem! Axios! I haven't read a poem I've liked so much in years, and the image is great, and the memorable line "thrown to the lambs."

Jim Swindle said...

Thank you, brother. May the Lord be praised.

The photo this time is one that my wife took, not me. I do like it a lot.

How vast is the Lord's mercy...to Peter, to us!