Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Garden and City

From Blog09

Lord, you started us in a garden,
Planted in Eden,
Watered well, abundantly fruitful,
And something within me is refreshed
Every time I'm in a well-kept garden.

Yet you're aiming us for a city,
Walled and floored,
Watered well, abundantly fruitful,
And something within me longs deeply
For that holy city, New Jerusalem.

Lord, let me enjoy the gardens
And keep them
And tend them toward fruitfulness,
But prepare me for your city.
May I practice being an urban gardener for you.

I also saw the Holy City, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared like a bride adorned for her husband.
--Revelation 21:2, HCSB

Poem and photo ©2009 James L. Swindle. You may print up to 100 copies with this notice, so long as you don't sell them, don't change the text and include this notice.

No comments: