Thursday, July 09, 2009

Humility

From Blog09

A man I'll call Ted (not his real name) and his wife joined our church a few months back. They and their children are consistently present--Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night--and consistently cheerful. Ted introduced himself simply as Ted. This week I asked Ted what is daily work is. He said he worked at a certain medical facility. I asked what he does there. The answer? "I'm an emergency room doctor." I'm impressed with the fact that Ted is an MD, but I'm more impressed with the fact that he didn't mention it until he was pressed to do so. Through all of his years of schooling and residency he's earned society's respect, but he doesn't go around telling everyone about it.

His humility shows me my pride. How about you--are you quick to list your qualifications, or are you content to let the Lord take care of your reputation?

Father, erase me,
Wipe out, efface me.
Put me on the shelf
And show forth yourself.


God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
--James 4:6, ESV

2 comments:

The Postman said...

I was encouraged by what a brother shared about Jesus.
They were not satisfied that Judas betrayed the place, they wanted him to point out Jesus to them. three and a half years Jesus preached and did things that none of todays 'greatest' evangelist did and yet He projected not Himself as the world's best known face.
The artist has got it all wrong. Jesus beauty was internal, "Isa 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him."

I am even led to imagine that, when it says that He slipped away for His time had not come, there might have been a good chance that they arrested the wromg man. They arrested one with flowing robes and long locks and well trimed beard, only to realize that they caught one of themselves.
He probably even spoke with a Galilaean accent!!

O to see the glory of Jesus, which only the Holy Spirit can reveal to us.

Jim Swindle said...

Excellent comments, my brother. I'm glad you're active on the web again.

Our Lord Jesus may have had what in their culture and time was a very typical appearance: Not tall, not short, not dark, not light, not fat, not thin, not handsome, not ugly (until they beat him before crucifying him).

Your comment about the desire to see the glory of Jesus caused me to think: I think we can often see a glimpse of the glory of Jesus in another believer, but that glory seems not to show up in a still photograph. (I don't know about moving video.) I think it may be a spirit-to-spirit connection that the camera cannot capture.

The small glimpses we see of the Lord's glory are so wonderful--I cannot imagine how beautifully attractive his full glory must be.