Sunday, August 02, 2009

At Times I Serve a Wretched King

From 08-09

At times I serve a wretched king--
A raging tyrant with a heart of stone,
A man whose dearest thoughts are for himself:
The things he wants, the fun he'll feel,
The ways he'll shape his entire world
To satisfy his pampered soul.
He's his own hero and his god.
All else exists for him, just him.
At times I serve a wretched king:
At times I serve and love myself.


He said to all, "If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me."

--Luke 9:23, World English Bible

Note: The real Christian truly has a new nature; a soft, living heart instead of the stony heart he had before. Yet that old nature remains with us in this life, and the old nature seems never to improve. We improve only by rejecting the old nature's wants and desires and by following Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Poem and photo ©2009 James L. Swindle. You may print up to 100 copies, so long as you don't change the text, you include the copyright notice, and you don't sell them.

1 comment:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Thanks for posting this great poem and photo! Easy to think that you were describing my boss, who can be a very hard, ego-centric tyrant, but ah! no, I knew from the beginning who you were really describing—myself!