Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hazel's Zinnias

From Blog09


Hazel's zinnias,
      pink as a baby's giggles,
Take me back in time
      jumping decades
To church meetings in Kansas
      where nothing much bloomed in mid-summers
      but zinnias and sunflowers and petunias.
I see the worn wood floors,
      my child-sized necktie
            royal blue satin with a cartoon character
            strung with an elastic band that's hidden by my collar,
      The ladies' sun dresses
      and an old farmer's neck in front of me,
      sun-dried brown leather furrows.

Amazing, the power of a vase of zinnias.

So remember your Creator in the days of your youth
--Ecclesiastes 12:1, HCSB

©2009 James L. Swindle.

I took the photo in Old Town Spring, Texas, in a shop called The Shabby Rose. I've come to know and to respect Hazel, the proprietor. The Lord's love shines through her.

No comments: