Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Keeper of Accounts

From Blog09

The Keeper of Accounts above,
The most-high blesséd God,
Assures me that he knows my ways
And loves me as his own.
I did not, could not, earn his love--
I earned disgrace and death--
And yet, for reasons I've not seen,
He loves me as his own.
He sacrificed his own dear Son
An offering for my sin,
Then raised him up that I might live
For endless years with him.

He offers you this very day
The love he's given me;
Commands you: Turn from sin to Christ.
You won't be turned away.
Your years of sinning all will melt
Like butter at his gaze.
His Holy Spirit will come in
And fill you, guide your ways.
Like me, you've earned disgrace and death.
Turn now! It's not too late.
Receive his goodness. Cast off sin
And live! Please do not wait!

You'll be amazed at love he gives,
This blesséd, burning God.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is God's power for salvation to everyone who believes, first to the Jew, and also to the Greek. For in it God's righteousness is revealed from faith to faith, just as it is written: The righteous will live by faith. For God's wrath is revealed from heaven against all godlessness and unrighteousness of people who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth, since what can be known about God is evident among them, because God has shown it to them.
--Romans 1:16-19 HCSB

Poem and photo ©2009 James L. Swindle. You may print up to 100 copies, so long as you don't change the text, you include the copyright notice, and you don't sell them.

1 comment:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Very nice poem, reads like an old time hymn. I wish you were writing the hymns that go into today's hymnals!