Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Thanksgiving Prayer

From Blog09

We thank you for the food we eat
And for each loved one whom we meet.
We thank you for our families,
Both born and blended by degrees.
We thank you for the work we do,
And for your mercies, ever-new.
We thank you for your word, still true,
But thank you most of all for You.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
--James 1:17 ESV

Poem ©2005 James L. Swindle

5 comments:

The Postman said...

I am often reminded of a prayer I heard in one of the movies of the old patriachs ... "Blessed be God our Lord who brings forth food from the earth/ground.

as for His provisions....
Even a beggar gets money at my Fathers door, but His correction and His rebuke is reserved for me!

2Pe 1:3-14 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Jim Swindle said...

Thank you, my brother, for the wise comment.

Puritan Dilemma said...

Great poem. I have enjoyed reading your posts. Could I have the liberty of using this one at our family thanksgiving today, to share with my family. My in-laws are unconverted, and always ask me to "say grace" at the meal...It would be a pleasure to share something like this with them.I will give you credit!

Gary said...

My family won't be doing Thanksgiving until Sunday, so I'd like to use this also. Thanks so much!

Jim Swindle said...

Gary, you're certainly welcome to use it.

Unless otherwise noted, people are also free to print up to 100 copies of any of my poems that are posted on this blog, so long as they
--Don't change the text
--Include the copyright notice
--Don't sell them