Friday, February 12, 2010

Unholy Trio

From Blog10


The world has a mantra that pulls on our lust:
    It looks good!
    It feels good!

        and
    You will be proud!
This unholy trio has worked since the day
When Satan tricked Eve and she ate of the fruit
That God had forbidden on stern threat of death.

The devil's still using that trio of lures:
    It looks good!
    It feels good!

        and
    You will be proud!
They still pull men's lusts, and they still lead to death.
Resist them. Resist them. Resist them and live!

Come helpless to Jesus. Believe on his name.
    The LORD will give goodness
        And pleasure
            And life.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever. --1 John 2:15-17, NKJV

2 comments:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Great poem and sentiment, very, very true. Thanks for posting it.

One or two other ploys of the evil one come to mind.

We're always being told that we should get or do or have the "X" that we deserve.

And then, there's those stores that give you a "Rewards" card. Borders bookstore and Fred Meyer (same as Kroger, who bought this local Pacific NW chain store) come to mind. I don't have the rewards card of either store, the first because I don't shop there enough, the second because to get one you have to let them track your purchases, and to me that's just over the line of privacy.

I remember the first time I told a cashier at Borders when she asked me if I had a rewards card, "No, I don't deserve one!" and her reaction. I use it sometimes as an opener to witness for Christ, but only if He opens the door by the response I get.

I do have a rewards card of sorts with Safeway, because it really does take off a substantial amount off grocery prices, which in my area are too high. It didn't have strings attached, at least it didn't admit to it. I don't deserve a Safeway card either, but I don't consider it a reward, just a way to avoid being overcharged for not-that-much-better quality.

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, my brother. I like your perspective on rewards cards. I look on the Kroger card as a means of not paying the visitors' surcharge. I prefer not needing one. Two of the other major grocers here (Wal-Mart and HEB, a local Texas chain) don't have such cards.

It's great to realize that I don't "deserve a break today," that I don't need to buy a product because I'm "worth it." The Lord loves me for his own good reasons, not because I'm worth it.