Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Child's Death

Mason died this morning (March 23), after his long struggle.

From Blog10


Too early, we say, taken--
Gone now, much too soon--
This child, still in his morning,
Sunset before noon.

The Lord, though, has his reason--
Hidden from our eyes--
Permitting such short season,
Tender crop for skies.

He doesn't cause the leaving--
This fruit of Adam's sin--
And tempers our great grieving:
The dead will rise again.

Jesus said..., “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live...."
--John 11:25

Note: My closest friend's mother-in-law died yesterday. Both families can use prayers.

6 comments:

nothinghypothetical said...

Memory Eternal.

Gary said...

Both families are in my prayers. Thank you for helping me with your prayers through our hard time. Mother is doing better now and is able to return to work.

Perhaps, as a tribute, you could name a star after Mason? Silly, I know, but it is an eternal memory. That last comment made me think of it.

Jim Swindle said...

Thank you, David and Gary. I know you each have your own grief. I'm presenting you and the two families I mentioned to "the God of all comfort."

Pray that the Lord will open hearts to the gospel through Mason's funeral, which is scheduled for Friday.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Apart from the sadness at this child's death, this is a wonderful poem, an inspiration. I don't know the circumstances, but I also say, "memory eternal" and "with the saints give rest, O Lord." The bosom of Abraham is a more welcoming place than this sorry earth.

Jim Swindle said...

You are right, of course, Romanós. To be with the Lord is better than to be here. Mason often sat a row behind me or a row ahead of me in church. He had a brain tumor for about 15 months. He, his parents, and some others in the same circle of influence made professions of faith in Jesus during the time of his illness. Though only the Lord knows which of us truly believe, it's been a joy to see a widening circle of new believers.

Jim Swindle said...

REPRINTS - This poem is one of the most-viewed on this site. If you are dealing with a death, you have my sincere sympathy. You are free to make printed copies of this particular poem. It would be kind if you included the path to this web site, but that's not required.