Saturday, April 10, 2010

Face-to-Face with History

From Blog10

The past is all around us
And soon we'll be the past.
The present's always with us,
But it will never last.

Eternity is coming
Much faster than we think.
Our entire life is passing
And ending in a blink.


O LORD, make me know my end
and what is the measure of my days;
let me know how fleeting I am!

--Psalm 39:4

Note: The bust is of the explorer LaSalle. It's located in Navasota, Texas, and was a gift from the French Committee for the Bicentennial of the Independence of the United States and the Association France-Amerique to commemorate the 333rd anniversary of the explorer's birth in Rouen, France, November 23, 1976. LaSalle was killed by his own men, probably near where Navasota now stands.

Poem and photo ©2010 James L. Swindle

4 comments:

nothinghypothetical said...

I always like a little Escatology in my poetry.

I never asked, what got you started writing poetry?

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks for the question. I'm not really sure. Both of my parents loved poems and quoted them from memory. I don't recall writing poems until I was in my 30's. I wrote poems for and about children.

Through an experience at a Pentecostal church when I was about 35 I learned that I could worship with my feelings, not just my emotions. Sometimes after that I'd be walking along and find that I was singing a new song of praise to the Lord. Some I wrote down. One (after revision) was sung a couple of times by a church of hundreds of people.

Along the way, I wrote a poem from time to time.

I started writing more poems about 6 years ago. After I saw how dreadful most of the Christian poetry on the internet was, and after being encouraged by the response to some poems I posted, I started writing more and posting more. Yet how many and whether they're any good depends much more on the Lord than on me. Sometimes I'd like to write, but there's nothing there. At other times, writing is very easy.

What's your story concerning writing poems?

Jim Swindle said...

One more thought: I certainly don't mean that the poems I write are superior to ALL of what's out there on the internet in terms of Christian poetry. I can tell that several people are posting some very, very good poems. I can tell that some of what I post is not very good at all. But most of what's out there is either very bad technically or very bad theologically or both.

Gary said...

Jim, I understand completely what you mean about most Christian poetry (and some contemporary songs) being bad either technically or theologically or both.

And I too enjoy eschatology in the midday. Thanks :)