Saturday, April 17, 2010

Where's Any Help?


What do you say to a friend who's going through a challenging time? What do you say when someone feels all alone?

Recently, a Christian friend was going through one of life's many challenges: an exam or a court date or a surgery or a job interview or something similar. Friends and relatives left comments on Facebook. One wished her good luck. Another said, "I'm sure everything will turn out all right." Another said, "We'll be thinking of you."

The people who left those comments meant well, I'm sure. Their words were kind; they were compassionate; but they were not Christian. The Bible knows nothing of luck. It knows the sovereign LORD. The Bible doesn't recommend mere positive thinking. It certainly doesn't recommend worrying. It calls for us to pray to the LORD and to trust in him.

Where do you put your trust?

Proverbs 16:23 says,
The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.

Psalm 121 begins with these words:
I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.

3 comments:

Ji said...

cool post,
help if you can, that's what you can do,
most of the time,
you simply are available so that friends who are in trouble get support...

Happy Sunday!
http://www.jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com
welcome!

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

The number of Christians who speak the world's language grows daily.

Never since I came to know the Lord at age 24 have I used such phrases as "good luck" with other Christians, but when well-wishing non-Christians in the company of others, I don't say "God bless you" to anyone who expresses contempt for Christ, and they are many.

Jim Swindle said...

Wise words, Romanós. We can say such things as "I wish you the best" to those who are distinctly not believers in Jesus. Or, sometimes, "I'll pray for you."