Saturday, May 29, 2010

Are You Ready to Be Holy?



Are you ready to be holy,
Trusting Jesus Christ alone?
Are you ready to be wholly
At his service, not your own?

Are you ready to be hated
For the message that you bring?
If they twist the truth you've stated,
Will you grouse, or will you sing?

Will you be a holy witness
Both by day and late at night,
Though they call you vile and witless
And attack your shining light?

Are you ready to be solely,
Wholly, praising Jesus' name?
Are you ready to be holy?
If not, slink away in shame.


When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful,
for he had great possessions.

--Matthew 19:22 ESV

Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.
--1 Thessalonians 5:22-23, ESV

The thoughts in this poem challenge me. I present them aimed not just at you, but also at myself.

The photo is ©2010 by James L. Swindle. This particular poem is public domain.

3 comments:

Jackie Houchin said...

A beautiful poem, Jim! And the rose pic is gorgeous. Both show your pure heart and God-given talents.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Particularly well-written in every way, I like this poem a lot, and yes, its message is a challenge.

By the way, I don't think I thanked you for commenting and giving some good references on Pandeli's blog, to counter the arrogant attack by Anders Branderud.

I was surprised to see your comment there, but very glad that you are there, and that you are welcome there, as a fellow orthodox (little "o") believer in Jesus. Actually, it made me proud to see your comment there, as it proves my testimony, that there is no difference between you and me, in Christ.

Thanks for standing with us in the Truth.

Jim Swindle said...

Jackie, I've found that it's impossible to over-estimate how evil I can be when relying on my own flesh, and impossible to over-estimate how good the Lord is in me and through me.

Romanós, thank you very much for the encouragement. All who love the Lord Jesus in truth and follow him are his family. All who don't, are not--no matter how good their church is. In you I see love for the Savior and for all his people, along with a desire for purity in both life and theology. I don't always agree with you, but I am moved by the Lord's work in and through you.