Saturday, May 22, 2010

Catching Dead Fish



When I catch fish, they come alive.
I find them dead. They leave alive.

I find them--beautiful or crude--
But they are dead. They're not alive.

The Fisher calls them, and they come--
Float to my nets and wake--alive!

His Spirit swiftly cleans them all;
Removes their scales; they see--alive!

The sea has fish I'll never catch.
They will not hear; won't come alive.

Yes, there are fish forever dead
That float, despising those alive.

When I catch fish, they come alive.
I find them dead. They leave alive.

And he said to them, “Follow me,
and I will make you fishers of men.”

--Matthew 4:19

Bonus: Here's another, totally different take on the photo.

A GIFT OF A FISH

Imagine that you're poor and hungry. Someone offers you free fish...as much as you want. You glance on tables in the distance and see stacks and stacks of fish. You thank the person from the heart and walk over to the table, only to find...that they're not real fish at all. They're artificial, excellent models, but just models. You don't need decor. You need a meal. You stumble on bitterly. You come to someone else. He offers you a fish, just one...but it's a real fish, and he's even cooked it for you. This time, you thank him, and your stomach is filled with the gift of a fish.

Jesus said, "...For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!" (Matthew 7:8-11)


My thanks to Magpie Tales for the photo and for prompting me to write about fish; also to Nothing Hypothetical for the format of the poem.

11 comments:

joanny said...

Wow --wonderful magpies - a fish tale with a beautiful moral what more can one ask for. Beautifully written and beautifully told loved them both.

Have a good week end
Joanny

Lisa said...

Because I have read your posts before I knew exactly where you were going with this and you did a lovely job!

nothinghypothetical said...

I enjoyed your Ghazal much more than my own. Excellent work. I like the form, though I found it hard to work with. I look forward to practicing more in the future.

christine said...

A poem to stir the imagination that leads to your moral... cleverly done.

Christine

willow said...

This prompt was right up your alley, Jim. Well done!

Brian Miller said...

ah, a wonderful magpie...it took me a second to catch on...but then...yeah, i am one of those fish!

Lena said...

Lovely written pieces. Aspiring.

Tumblewords: said...

Nicely done!

Suz said...

enjoyed!

Lyn said...

Some dead in spirit..but the possibility of awakening..always there...thank you! Love the form..

Jim Swindle said...

My thanks to each one for encouragement.