Sunday, May 02, 2010

Message in a Bottle

From Blog10

Bottle's scuffed and stained,
But the message came through, safe.
Message from another time,
Message from another shore--
Oddly distant, oddly current:
Unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.
Words I've heard before
In the Book, from the Savior,
After the tower of Siloam fell and killed twelve men
(No worse sinners, they)
And also from a friend whose repentance failed,
Whose life collapsed.

Now there's a message in a bottle once again,
Or really, not even a bottle--
In a clay pot, chipped and cracked,
Nothing fine to look at.
Same message, different vessel:
This time, I'm the bottle, the pot,
And you?
You just opened the message.
What will you do with it?

I hear that the divine bottle-washer
Is happy to clean up bottles like you.

With credit to Writers Island for the idea of writing about a message in a bottle.
Photo ©2010 and poem public domain by James L. Swindle

4 comments:

nothinghypothetical said...

I didn't know you were participating in Writer's Island. I'm so glad to come across your entry!

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, David.
I wasn't, but came across it on your blog. I'm not determined to write about anything and everything; not determined to be a writer at all costs, but it's sometimes interesting to take an idea and write about it.

Gary said...

I should go fishing more. That's where the Lord first said "follow me," right?

Thanks for sharing a bottle with me!

Jim Swindle said...

Gary, how do you keep your humor bottled up?

Seriously, thanks for the comment. I also hope/pray that someone who reads the poem some day will think about the meaning and will be helped to repent.