Friday, May 21, 2010

When Dreams Wait

From Blog10


Sometimes dreams are packed away,
Boarded up to stand and wait,
Hoping for another day:
Will it come? Is it too late?

Dreams of men may come and go,
Rise and soar or wilt and die;
But God's promises, I know,
All are truth. They never lie.

You can lean on them, full-strength,
Resting on them your full weight.
You will see them true at length--
Each fulfilled! Not one too late.


For still the vision awaits its appointed time;
it hastens to the end--it will not lie.
If it seems slow, wait for it;
it will surely come; it will not delay.

--Habakkuk 2:3

4 comments:

nothinghypothetical said...

Makes me one not for having dreams. I know that's sacrilegious in this day and age. But I'm learning to prefer His promises to my dreams.

Jim Swindle said...

I think it's fine to have dreams, but they should be for the Lord's glory, not mine. I've had too many dreams of my glory and not enough of his. For a book on that (I've read only about a chapter, but what I read was excellent), see Rescuing Ambition by Dave Harvey.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

I think as I have grown up in the Lord, my dreams have been replaced by the promise, but not without struggle.

Many of the dreams were painfully crushed and reluctantly jettisoned.
Many of (what I thought were) the promises also had to be given up.

God's promise, not His promises, as from His side they are one, whereas from our side they are many and not unmixed with our self-deceptions and false hopes, God's promise alone, is what I depend on.

To him who overcomes... (Revelation, letters to the seven churches of Asia).

Jim Swindle said...

Thank you, Romanós, for the insightful comment. Our hope is the Lord, not just one particular promise of his--though, of course, all of his promises are true.