Thursday, June 03, 2010

Mark, Prune, Fill



Mark me, Lord. Yes, mark for life
And not for death. Come, wield your knife
And cleanly slice my sinning heart
To cut away the wicked part.

Prune me, Lord. Yes, trim me clean
So fruit will come and not just green
Of showy leaves and shiny lies
All less than nothing in your eyes.

Fill me, Lord. Yes, fill me all
So full that any time I fall
Your grace will spill on all around
And splash on some 'til they are sound.

Mark me, prune me, fill me, Lord,
That I may claim the great reward
Of serving you with all I am
And singing praises to the Lamb.

Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
--John 15:2 ESV

And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
--2 Corinthians 1:21-22, ESV

©2010 James L. Swindle

2 comments:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

What a wonderful poem, perfect in every way, an offering to the Lord who gave you the talent and inspiration to write it.

Glory to God.

Jim Swindle said...

Thank you, brother. I think this is one of the better ones. Such poems almost write themselves--and, as you say, come from the Lord. I never know just when another good one will start. I can try to think of one, but that doesn't always help. I'm quite aware of being dependent.