Saturday, June 05, 2010

Statue of Praise



To sing in a grand choir
with joy forever
eyes heart voice
lifted in praise
tasting the wonder
the majesty
the glory
of the All-Holy...

to know the relief
of sins forgiven
memory of forgottenness
depth of gratitude
for an execution
not mine
but mine
by faith
all this--my amazement

while television
demands a focus
on the temporary
one-day sale
breaking news
coming up next
more details at ten

all very definite
concrete
but not as concrete
as my song

...we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
--2 Corinthians 4:18 ESV

My thanks to Magpie Tales for the image, which prompted this poem.

16 comments:

brenda said...

This is a beautiful expression of faith. I like how you brought the reader back to the song at the end. Concrete. I like it.

signedbkm.com said...

very nice, with a beautiful message .....bkm

willow said...

Beautiful, Jim!

Helen said...

Your Magpie is a very thoughtful Magpie .... a lesson to be learned.

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

Kimmie said...

yes - some things are more concrete than concrete

Tumblewords: said...

Written in stone. Nice.

Paul C said...

You capture the unity and redemption that can be found in religious music.

Brian Miller said...

love that twist in tone as you shift to that of this world...so very nice a magpie...my eyes are open...

C Hummel Kornell a/k/a C Hummel Wilson said...

I enjoyed the faith depicted in your Magpie.

Vicki Lane said...

I like the shift from the eternal choir to the eternal television and its breaking news!

Alexis said...

Awesome Magpie, so uplifting! I loved the verse at the end.

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, each one, for encouragement.

Lena said...

There is nothing more uplifting than choir. On the whole a wonderful depiction.

Jingle said...

I watch No news at all...
but enjoy reading your message.
lovely tale!

mine is up.

~T~ said...

I like your perspective. Turn off the TV and sing!