Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Feminism

From Blog10


Here's a quote on feminism, from Romanós (whose blog is worth reading).
Just ask yourself this simple question: "What would my views be if I hated men and if I wanted to stir up this hatred in others?" And your answer to this question will almost certainly be consistent with what most feminists are actually saying.

Now, I have no desire to oppress women. I've worked for more than one excellent female boss. Still, there's something bitter at the root of much modern feminism. If you don't believe me,
●Try counting the ratio of "a-woman-with-a-wonderful-man" movies to "a-woman-with-a-really-scary-man" movies on Lifetime TV.
●Try counting the ratio of TV commercials with stupid women, to those with stupid men.
●Explain why feminist church leaders want to de-sex God.

So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

(Genesis 1:27 ESV)

5 comments:

Gary said...

I couldn't say it better myself.

It's not just Lifetime, either. Several TV sitcoms have a male lead who is a screw-up and a female lead who, while not exceptional, is level-headed. Home Improvement comes across as an example. I love that show, and it'd be fine if that metanarrative wasn't running throughout nearly half the sitcoms of this generation.

On the other hand, you have shows like Friends, in which both sexes are sometimes flawed. That's fair. But the only time you see a female lead who is flawed and a male lead who isn't would be in a show specifically geared to be relatable to young girls (like Hanna Montana).

I think I might write another post on gender issues. Oh boy.

Gary said...

P.S. I found another recent blog post on the topic. It might interest you. Al Mohler on Feminism.

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, Gary, for the comment and for the link. The item at the link mentions Gleason Archer. He was one of my professors years ago, and I agree with his position on inerrancy. If the Bible's only mostly true, then we get to shape God in our own image.

In terms of church work, I see no reason to fault women who are doing wonderful work which the men around them are unable or unwilling (usually the latter) to do. Still, the Bible is quite clear that men and women are different in roles but equal in salvation.

Gary said...

I agree that the Bible isn't something you just mess with willy-nilly. It's God's word to us. And although men and women are different in roles and equal in salvation, you bring up a good point. Getting men to stand up and lead is sometimes like pulling teeth. In such a situation, it's better to have women lead than to have a power vacuum.

But as long as we RELY on that alternative, it will encourage men to be lazy and let women handle everything. When I was in college as a Bible major, believe it or not, I was timid like that. It takes time to grow, I suppose.

Jim Swindle said...

Gary, I agree completely with you. Incidentally, I'm still not good at exercising manly, humble leadership. Yet just because something's hard for me doesn't mean it isn't the Lord's design.