Sunday, July 04, 2010

Freedom and Martyrs

From Blog10

The photo shows my mother and her sisters. It's probably from the later 1930's.

My great-grandmother, Maria Dorothea Gruenwald, was a German-speaking native of Russia. She came to the USA in about 1914, before Russia's Communist revolution of 1917, and she died in the later 1930's. She said to one of her granddaughters, "The day will come in this country when they will say to you, 'Deny Jesus, or I'll shoot you.' I hope that you'll say, 'Then shoot me.'"

I'm thankful that in this country we've not yet reached the depth of persecution that she envisioned, but it appears that we're headed in that direction. My nation seems to be headed rapidly toward the criminalization of godliness.

What's a believer in Jesus to do? There isn't a political answer. The courts have proved repeatedly that they no longer even think about the words in the Constitution when deciding whether a law is "constitutional." Once the courts decide that the Constitution's words don't matter, but their own words do, there are no words (such as amendments) to fix the situation.

The only solution is for us to try to live godly lives, to pray, to be the Lord's witnesses, and to prepare for persecution. Unless the Lord grants revival, the future of the United States of America is ugly.

I love my nation's heritage of freedom and godliness, while recognizing its many sins over the centuries. I pray for revival. I prepare for persecution. My friends, the day may come in this country when they will say to you, "Deny Jesus, or I'll shoot you." I hope that you'll say, "Then shoot me."


When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne.
(Revelation 6:9 ESV)

2 comments:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Yes, the future looks bleak with the rise of "anomia", the lawlessness which the Word of God declares will fill the earth in the last days. Our country is built on a foundation of both revelation and reason, and by denying the first, our present leaders have forfeited the second, and so we seem to be sliding into the depravity described in the opening chapter of Paul's letter to the Romans.

Still, I have faith that the God in whom "we trust" has not abandoned us, and that revival will come. America was not just a good dream of mankind that is destined to fade away. If we prove unable to preserve it, then others will. The whole world still in its heart of hearts wants to come to America, or at least live in the freedom we do. Liberty will always find those who are willing to die to secure it for their children, even if we aren't.

The Blogger said...

I was once bleak about the future, but if you look at it through God's perfect vision, it isn't bleak at all, even though it seems like all is lost. That is the heady elixir of Satan speaking. We must resist the urge to drink it, though that is all they are offering these days.