Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mystery Morning (fiction) and a Poem, Not Alone




Now, how did I wake up here, when I don't even know where here is?
It's a beautiful place with fine morning light and maybe beautiful views, but where am I? I must have slept well: the bed shows that...covers and pillow messed just enough. It's a bed for two, but I slept alone (I hope). Hmm...must try to remember, before anyone finds out that I'm awake. I have the strangest feeling that I've never been here before, but that I'm home.

Did I come here drunk? No, that's not possible, because I don't drink.

Was I sick? But I don't feel sick.

Do I have amnesia? Well, maybe. If so, I don't want to admit it. I'll just clean up and get dressed (I see some of my clothes in the closet) and then open that door and see where it leads.
_________________________________________

When I wake, I'm not alone.
God is here inside of me.
He has made my heart his home
And his Spirit lives in me.

Closer than a telephone
Or the people that I'll see,
He is here. He's made a home,
By his grace, inside of me.

There's no merit of my own
That can claim this mystery.
It's his choice, his choice alone
That has placed him now in me.

With thanks to Magpie Tales for the photo-prompt. For other takes on the same prompt, follow the link.

13 comments:

Eric S. said...

Nice take on the prompt. There is a simple confusion in the picture, and you took that and ran with it. Well done.

Lena said...

I enjoyed this. A delicate transition.

kathew said...

Nicely done- first the question and then the answer!

Jim Swindle said...

Eric S., thanks.
Lena and Kathew, glad you enjoyed it. I had not necessarily intended the brief fiction piece and the poem to go together, though the picture prompted the fiction and the fiction prompted the poem.

RA said...

I like the idea of simply opening the door and seeing where it leads! :)

swputh said...

U made that place beautiful with faith... I made that hell with doubt

C Hummel Kornell a/k/a C Hummel Wilson said...

Beautiful.

christine said...

A simple tale that said so much..
And the poem answered the story, cleverly done

Christine

Tumblewords: said...

Nicely done!

willow said...

There are times when life feels just this way! Wonderful, Jim.

Lyn said...

It seems it's always best to solve mysteries by going within..well done!

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, each one, for encouragement.

susan m hinckley said...

Well done -- I liked the way the two pieces sat with each other, starting a little conversation of their own . . .