Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sunflowers and Culture

From Blog10

For me, the sunflower is the happiest flower. That's probably because I spent most of my childhood in central Kansas. The sunflower is the state flower there. Not a lot of showy flowers grow wild there, but the sunflowers do. I have an emotional connection with sunflowers that I just don't have with most other flowers.

Now, does that make sunflowers better than the flowers that other people see as happiest? Of course not. If I'm going to really love other people, I must realize that in many ways their tastes are just as valid as mine, only different.

That's one of the challenges that every church constantly faces. Some people prefer one style of doing things. Other people prefer something different. I'm not talking about moral issues here nor matters of truth. I'm talking about style. How long should a sermon last? How fast should a piece of music be sung? Should a church dinner feature fried chicken or enchiladas or stir-fried vegetables with rice? Issues like these can be excuses for serious divisions within a church, or they can be sources of enjoyment of the Lord's creativity. Which way do you see such differences?

1 comment:

Craig and Heather said...

Reminds me of this:
1Co 12:14-21 ESV
(14) For the body does not consist of one member but of many.
(15) If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," that would not make it any less a part of the body.
(16) And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," that would not make it any less a part of the body.
(17) If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell?
(18) But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose.
(19) If all were a single member, where would the body be?
(20) As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.
(21) The eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you," nor again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you."


We fellowship with a varied set of believers who meet in a rented hall. We all have different styles, but we love Christ above all, and love others more than ourselves. In this spirit, the different styles often times are complimentary.

I have a friend who says, "blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be broken"

Craig