Friday, August 06, 2010

Redemption



Redemption. The very word kicks me in my pride--
To think that I, so virtuous, should need to be redeemed!

Redemption is for things at a pawn shop
Or for smelly slaves--poor things!
But for me?
Sadly, yes. My sin's been black as hell,
And that's where I got my ideas,
Though I didn't know it or admit it.
I thought I was intelligent, reasonable, refined.
Little did I know that I was foolish, stubborn, blind.
Little did I know--but the Lord knew!
He knew my enslavement,
And he redeemed me!
Not only that, but the price was beyond my imagining:
His perfect son, mocked, tortured, executed...
To redeem me and others like me.

Redemption. It's my joy,
Now that I died with him
To rise to new life.
I love it and cannot live without it--
Redemption.

In overflowing anger for a moment
      I hid my face from you, but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,”
      says the LORD, your Redeemer.

--Isaiah 54:8, ESV

No comments: