Saturday, August 07, 2010

Watering Can

From Blog10

What's an old watering can to you?
Maybe not much. But to me it waters memories.
I see Grandpa and Grandma,
    masters of water in western Nebraska--
Watering by day, watering by night,
Channeling melted mountain snow water
    into fields of beans and corn and sugar beets
    that bought farms and educations
    and the house where the banker had lived,
    and helped build a church--
Watering gardens, watering flowers, watering house plants
    until one was taller than Grandpa himself.
This old can brings galvanized memories of generals in the war on drought.

Whoever brings blessing will be enriched,
and one who waters will himself be watered.

                            --Proverbs 11:25


I think the can in this photo was made by my wife's uncle Al, who was a tinsmith. He wasn't a good man, but judging from the can, I'd say he was a good tinsmith.

My thanks to Magpie Tales for the idea of writing about a watering can. You can follow the link to see other people's thoughts about watering cans.

14 comments:

AngelMay said...

Channeling melted mountain snow water
into fields of beans and corn and sugar beets
that bought farms and educations


SO nicely done. I enjoyed it very much.

Brian Miller said...

and i guess you could say it waters you...with the sweet remembrances...nice magpie...

Suz said...

galvanized memories...nice
and I loved the little comment about uncle

Tumblewords: said...

galvanized memories - a fitting phrase. Amazing to find a handmade watering can. Wonderful.

Tattered and Lost said...

Ah yes, watering cans can be so special. When I went in search of one of my own I wanted one that looked like the one my father has always used. My search for the perfect watering can took time. And now after years of use it has a patina almost as nice as my fathers. Silly watering can. It makes me smile as did your piece.

Lyn said...

What a sense of time and history..loved the Proverb..

Helen said...

I enjoyed your Magpie ... it transported me way back in time ... and I could see my grandparents' watering can sitting at the edge of their garden ... I could see it vividly!

Jim Swindle said...

Thank you, each one, for the kind comments.

Jingle said...

sweet and witty tale!
excellent job!

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, Jingle. It's a sweet tale, and it's true.

Arian T said...

i wish i could write something musical and resonating as this. i love it! i love it!

Angie Muresan said...

Very nice! That little watering can certainly did so much.

Lena said...

I enjoyed your little trip back in time. I can still picture my old dad with the one he never threw away!

kathew said...

Illuminating story-what comes from water and hard work. Nice Magpie