Friday, September 24, 2010

Discriminating Fragrance


Some love my fragrance
Scent from heaven
Breath of endless life
Amazing, alluring aroma.

Most hate that same smell
Odor most foul
Putrefaction--their own death
Dreaded, damning stench.

Their hearts determine the smell.
Tell me: Do you like it?

For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things?
(2 Corinthians 2:15-16 ESV)

My thanks to Magpie Tales for this photo, which prompted the poem. You can follow the link to find other people's reactions to the same image.

14 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

So many aromas. Of love, hate. Yet we need a balance.


remnants

kathew said...

Thought provokiing post.

Deborah said...

Yes I do! well written :o)

Carrie Burtt said...

So much truth in this poem...and yes i love it! :-)

Rene/ Not The Rockefellers said...

thought provoking post as currently I am afraid I am odorless

Rene

Jim Swindle said...

Gautami, thanks for stopping by here. Welcome.

Kathew and Deborah, thanks for the encouragement.

Deborah and Carrie, I'm glad to hear it.

Rene, I appreciate your sense of humor. I do pray that you'll catch the odor.

Brian Miller said...

oh i smell what you got...one of my fav stories is of the lady that annoints the lords feet and i imagine they both smelled of her worship for days...nice magpie!

Bloggin'withAmanda said...

very intense I wonder how most will decide!

Jim Swindle said...

Brian, thanks. I like that story, too.

Amanda, most hate the aroma once they realize what it is. Only by God's grace do any of us come to love it.

Reflections said...

So much of this life is filled by the sense of smell, how sweet the apple's aroma must have been. Maybe it was but a glimmer of what is to come.

Jim Swindle said...

Reflections, thanks for the intriguing comment. I'd never thought about the smells in the Garden of Eden. The Bible doesn't say how the fruit smelled, nor that it was an apple, but I suspect that all the fruit of the Garden smelled wonderful. The smells in the Lord's coming eternal kingdom will surely be amazing.

Sue J said...

It's funny how one person's perfume is another one's stink. Makes you wonder if our noses work differently.
Good Magpie.

jabblog said...

Thoughtful post.

Jim Swindle said...

Sue J, I'm sure people's "spiritual noses" work differently. My thanks to you and to jabblog for stopping by and for encouragement.