Thursday, September 02, 2010

Hating Sin

From Blog10


I hate sin, but do I hate it enough?

I don't hate sin enough...
    If I find it funny and entertaining.
    If I dream of its pleasures.
    If I make provisions for following it in my life.
    If I try to curb it, instead of killing it.
    If I call it something softer.
    If I make excuses for it.
    If I don't try to turn others from it.
    If I don't expose it to the light.
    If I blame it on someone else.
    If I think little sins don't matter.
    If I don't worry about its consequences.

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
--Romans 6:23

2 comments:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Excellent thoughts! There are few things we can legitimately hate, and true, the things we should hate, particularly sin, we don't hate enough. Daily I catch myself trying to sneak away and look for some alternate beauty, but none is comelier or more to be loved than Jesus, yet we leave Him even for trifles. Lord, have mercy!

Jim Swindle said...

"None is comelier or more to be loved than Jesus, yet we leave Him even for trifles. Lord, have mercy!"

Amen, brother Romanós. And mercy is precisely what he's given us in Jesus.