Thursday, September 30, 2010

Kerosene Lamp

From Blog10


By this lamp’s light
Grandma mended stockings
And Grandpa looked for ways
To feed his family.

By this lamp’s light
Mother and her sisters
Packed their clothes for each week at school
And later packed for college.

By this lamp’s light
My wife and I visited quietly
Enjoying the break from routine
When the power was out.

Now this lamp sits on our piano,
Waiting with dignity,
Waiting with beauty,
Waiting for another dark night.

The lamp’s been waiting for over a year.
Tonight, it’s bright...
Bright with light,
Bright with memories.

My wife and I visit,
Looking back over the years,
Looking forward to eternity,
Savoring the moment.

There was light.
There is light.
There will be light,
And it is good.


Again Jesus spoke to them, saying,
“I am the light of the world.
Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness,
but will have the light of life.”

(John 8:12 ESV)

My thanks to Magpie Tales for the idea of writing about a kerosene lamp. For other people's writings on the same topic, follow the link.

This poem is mostly factual, though we really didn't visit about much profound tonight while the lamp was lit.

Much content on this site is copyright. This new poem and original photo are public domain.

19 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Thoughtful...

doomed if I do, doomed if I don't

Mrs.Trellis said...

VERY thoughtful. Your life enjoys more content than mine. But as you say . . . the Lord's Will . . .

Arian Tejano said...

the summary of age and wisdom. wow!

When The Lamps Never Light

Jingle said...

remarkable and admirable tale...
it stirs sweet memories..
I can relate.

Kristen Haskell said...

What an incredible journey that lamp's history and what a lovely way of remembering.

anacronk said...

I think that is why I love antiques - you know that if only they could talk, what a tale they'd tell! Beautiful!

Jim Swindle said...

Gautami, thanks for commenting.
Mrs. Trellis, I suppose most of my adventures are of the mental sort. :-)
Arian, thanks. Through the years, the Lord's given me some wisdom. I need lots more.
Jingle, I'm glad you can relate.
Kristen, yes, the lamp's been through a lot in its time. I suppose it's between 70 and 90 years old.
Anacronk, welcome! Thanks for the encouragement.

Myrna R. said...

Good memories, nice poem.

Rene/ Not The Rockefellers said...

this was so warm and beautiful...

and the lamp filled so may lives with light
just by being itself

Rene

Reflections said...

And if a kerosene light can touch so many lives throughout the years, how many must his light touch.
Nice magpie.

Jim Swindle said...

Myrna, thanks for sharing in my memories.
Rene, yes, the lamp's just a lamp, but it's been a useful lamp.
Reflections, thanks for the encouraging word.

Tumblewords: said...

Very nice!

Jim Swindle said...

Tumblewords, Thanks.

willow said...

Beautiful, Jim. And I enjoyed seeing your family's lamp, as well!

Carrie Burtt said...

I love this Jim...so much truth and hope in this beautiful poem!
:-)

Jim Swindle said...

Willow, thanks for stopping by and thanks for sharing your photos with us.

Carrie, I'm glad you liked it. Anything good in me is from the Lord.

kathew said...

thoughtful and sweet words

Jim Swindle said...

Kathew, thanks.

Jingle said...

http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/2010/10/poetry-potluck-beaches-and-mountains.html

welcome to our poetry potluck by linking in 1 to 3 poems.
Thanks for the support,
Happy Tuesday!