Friday, September 17, 2010

Not Now



I'll learn to love, but later,
Since there is always time.

I will forgive, but later,
Since there is always time.

I'll be a man, but later,
Since there is always time.

I'll exercise, but later,
Since there is always time.

I'll have a plan, but later,
Since there is always time.

I'll do what's best, but later,
Since there is always time.

I will repent, but later,
Since there is always time.

I will trust Christ, but later,
Since there is always time.

But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.
--Luke 12:20-21 ESV

My thanks to Magpie Tales for the image that prompted this poem. You can follow the link to see other people's impressions of it. This original poem is public domain. Other poems on this site are ©James L. Swindle, unless stated otherwise.

13 comments:

rel said...

So true: there is only now!
rel

willow said...

Ode to the procrastinator.

Mrs.Trellis said...

. . and then suddenly, the sand has run out, and there is no more time. God Bless

Kristen Haskell said...

Great poem I will keep your words in mind.

kathew said...

seize the moment...now is the time.

Rene/ Not The Rockefellers said...

Act quickly...time is running out :)

Rene

Brian Miller said...

we sure can fool ourselves that we have all the time in the world...but we are not the one to number our days...nice mag!

kathi harris said...

We r all so guilty of procrastinating, in one form or another. Thanks 4 this timely reminder.

Jim Swindle said...

I've been away from the computer; am hoping to catch up on reading all of your efforts (and some others) today.
Rel, thanks for commenting.
Willow, "Ode to the Procrastinator" would have been a good title for the poem.
Mrs. T, yes, you got the point.
Kristen, that's one of the best things anyone's said about one of my poems.
Kathew and Rene, Yes.
Brian, thanks for the allusion to Psalm 90:12. We number them, but in another sense God's already written them.
Kathi H, thanks for the kind words.

razzamadazzle said...

Very well done. Procrastination is certainly one of the world's evils.

Teresa

Tumblewords: said...

This conversation sounds like one that goes on around the world at any given time...nice...

Jingle said...

what a fun read,
later, too late in then end...

thanks for the beautiful message,

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, Teresa, Tumble and Jingle.

I'm glad you stopped by.