Monday, October 11, 2010

Autumn

From Blog10


Leaves languid falling
Veed geese high calling
The wind gets surly
Twilight comes early

Kaleidescoping
The leaves are hoping
Their last grand showing
Will leave us glowing

Fog, filmy drifting
And eerie lifting
Brown squirrels hurry
Their nuts to bury

October raking
The children making
Great leaps of pleasure
In mounded treasure


Such rich redundance
Autumn abundance
___________________________________


He changes times and seasons;
he removes kings and sets up kings;
he gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to those who have understanding...

--Daniel 2:21 ESV

You may consider my poem "Autumn" public domain.

For an earlier poem of mine on the same topic, look here.

My thanks to Magpie Talesfor reminding me to write about autumn leaves. For other people's thoughts on the topic, follow the link. They come from many different world-views and skill levels (some distinctly more creative than mine), so take the good and ignore the not-so-good.

10 comments:

Lena said...

Jim, your poem made me feel truly seasonal. I was taken back to my young school days, there. And our hall at Harvest. Thanks!

Lane Savant said...

Nice. Lyrical. Musical. Like it.

willow said...

I have wonderful memories of leaping in those mound treasures! "Veed geese" is especially nice.

Prayer Girl said...

Very nice Magpie. It was so vivid and it brought back memories for me of jumping from the lower branches of trees into piles of multicolored leaves.

HERE IS MINE

PG

Jim Swindle said...

Lena, I'm glad I could be your travel guide.
Lane, I didn't think in terms of music, but did think in terms of meter. I'm glad you noticed.
Willow, I can't come up with anywhere as many fresh word usages as you do, but thanks for noticing the one here.
Prayer Girl, I don't know what you look like, but can see that jumping girl in my mind.

kathi harris said...

I luv this. I luv the rhythm & rhyme of it. Brilliant!

Jingle said...

bright and smart writing.

Jim Swindle said...

Kathi, glad you like it. I like rhythm and rhyme, though some excellent poems don't have it.

Jingle, thanks for the encouragement and thanks for visiting.

~T~ said...

Lovely words, great description of autumn.

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, T.