Thursday, October 28, 2010

Cemetery Thoughts



After my body lies cold in the ground
(Worms by my rib cage, but no other sound)--
After my tombstone lies broken and worn,
Some day I yet will be fresh as the morn.

Jesus will come with a glorious shout.
Graves will crack open, and I will come out!
If I was rotting, no longer I'll stink.
Flesh will mesh freshly, and all in a blink.

I will rise upward--we'll meet in the air.
Then and for always, his presence I'll share!
I'll see his glory, his power, his grace--
Holy, not burned by his radiant face.

For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.
--1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 ESV

...we know that when he appears1 we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.
--1 John 3:2 ESV

Remember, the Bible's promises of eternal blessing are only for those who turn from self and sin, to Jesus--to Jesus, the One who died for our sins and who rose that we may be justified.

My thanks to Magpie Tales for the image (above) that prompted this poem. You can read other people's reactions to the photo by clicking the link.

Poem ©2010 James L. Swindle. You may print up to 100 copies for non-commercial use, so long as you include the copyright notice.

12 comments:

kathi harris said...

It is gd 2 have faith 2 hold on 2. Cuz death comes 4 us all.

Jim Swindle said...

Kathi, yes, death comes! And yet we don't really hold on to our faith. We hold on to our Lord, by faith. "Abide in me," he said. And we do that because he is graciously holding on to us.

Thanks for stopping by.

Rene/ Not The Rockefellers said...

And I wait for that hour, that glorious day

willow said...

Exciting thoughts!

"If I was rotting, no longer I'll stink..." made me giggle.

Doctor FTSE said...

I don't share your faith, Jim, but admire your rhyming. Not sure that the line Willow quotes (above) is intentionally funny . . . ?

senderupwords said...

I too am not faithful in what we are taught since birth about in the monotheistic traditions. However, this is a great rendering well written. Love and Light, Sender

Brian Miller said...

that day will come and to stand int he holy...wow...nice mag!

Jim Swindle said...

Rene and Willow, yes, it will be wonderful.
Dr. FTSE, thanks for visiting my blog again. Actually, I had not intended the line as funny, but the poem may be better if that line is taken as serious-but-humorous.
Sender, thanks for the encouragement. I'd desire that you and everyone would share my faith, but I'm certainly not in control of that.
Brian, thanks for the kind words.

Carrie Burtt said...

Wonderful truths here in your words Jim....:-)

Jim Swindle said...

Carrie, yes, it's amazing. (Not my writing, but the truth.)

~T~ said...

Amen!
I enjoy the sound of "Flesh will mesh freshly."

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, ~T~. Actually, in that line I plagiarized from an earlier poem of mine.