Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Snow Day



Cold winds blow
Then comes snow
All is white
Bright at night
Morning sun
Calls for fun
School is out
Children shout
Clear blue sky
Snowballs fly
Sleds flash past
Wow! That's fast!
Great play's chosen
Until frozen
Ears and toes
Fingers, nose
Call us in
Peel off skin
Of gloves, boots
And snow suits
And at three
Drink some tea


God thunders wondrously with his voice;
      he does great things that we cannot comprehend.
For to the snow he says, ‘Fall on the earth,’
      likewise to the downpour, his mighty downpour.

--Job 37:5-6 ESV


Poem ©2010 James L. Swindle
My thanks to Magpie Tales for the wonderful image. Follow the link to see other people's thoughts about the sled.

9 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

I miss those days, welcoming my children in, pink faced from the snow.

Nanka said...

I liked your poem so simple and a nice imagery created too!!

Its sad we do not experience snow here and so I have missed out all that fun!!

Mary said...

Yes, I did that! Except for the tea; it was hot chocolate in my neck of the woods. :o)

thingy said...

I do miss those days. Loved this.

Carrie Burtt said...

Such beautiful memories...i love this Jim! :-)

Jim Swindle said...

Tess, I know what you mean. Mine are grown, too.
Nanka, I'm glad you enjoyed the imagery. I now live in the Houston area. We have snow rarely, and I've never yet used the sled here. The family sled sits in my attic, waiting.
Mary, we really didn't have tea, but it worked better for rhyming. :-)
Thingy and Carrie, glad you liked it.

Helen said...

We'll let the children sip hot tea while we sip a hot toddy! Nicely written.

kathew said...

fun read...great rhythm
I remember both the days of fun I had as a child and also the days of fun my children had.

Jim Swindle said...

Helen, thanks, though I wouldn't know a hot toddy if I saw one. I seem to have an addictive personality and have had several relatives who were or are alcoholic, so I abstain.

Kathew, glad it brought good memories.