Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Sign

From Blog11

I need no mystic sign
Of magic's ancient lore;
No puzzling rune, occult design
Discovered on some pagan floor.

My sign's the simple cross:
Bare intersect of line
That speaks of blood and loss,
Of sacrifice divine.

This sign is now to me
Far more than luck or fame.
It's utter victory
In Jesus' mighty name.

So mock it, if you will,
For its simplicity.
This sign will triumph still
Beyond all history.

But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
(Galatians 6:14 ESV)

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith...
(Philippians 3:8-9 ESV)

In reality, the cross is important only because of what Jesus did on the cross.

Poem ©2011 James L. Swindle. You may print up to 100 copies for non-commercial use. For other uses, leave a comment. I'm eager to enable you to use these poems for the Lord's glory.

11 comments:

1meremortal said...

Nice.

Elaine said...

Amen!

Jim Swindle said...

1meremortal and Elaine, thanks for the encouragement.

Jingle said...

cool entry,
Glad to see you shine...

A++

Jingle said...

Some Awards 4 you, please help by visiting 2 or 3 poets to give birthday wishes, Thanks!

Your support is valued!
xxx

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, Jingle, but I really don't write for the sake of awards or being graded...at least, not by any human court.

fletch said...

Thank you sooooooooooooooo much for making this blog

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, Fletch, for stopping by. Chelsea, thanks for encouraging words, but it's bad form to leave ads in posts on a non-commercial blog, so I'm deleting yours. Do, however, stop back by and leave more comments if you wish.

Gary said...

I like this one!

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

This reminds me of something I heard years ago. When my wife was asked by someone where she worked what sign she was born under, she told them, "the sign of the Cross." I guess for some believers in astrology, that must be a new sign.

Jim Swindle said...

Gary, glad it spoke to you.
Romanós, hooray for her.