Monday, January 17, 2011

Poems

From Blog11

This poem is based on a dim memories of poems I read decades ago, including Eve Merriam's "How to Eat a Poem." If you know of another source, let me know, and I'll give credit.

Some poems are slippery snakes
Slithering out of your grasp.
Some are stately buildings
With firmly fluted columns.
Others are otters playing in a pool,
Twisting joyously end-over-end.
Still others are elegant Tiffany eggs,
Precious, but without substance.
All revel in the wonder of words
Artfully arranged and carefully cropped.


There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning...
--1 Corinthians 14:10

3 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice...yeah thats what i like about poetry...two people can read it and come away satisfied with completely different takes...

Elaine said...

Hello Jim,

I really enjoyed reading your poem this evening...especially since it started with "snakes" and I wrote a poem called snakes and ladders just yesterday. I look forward to reading more from your blog. Please feel free to visit mine.
Sincerely
Elaine

Jim Swindle said...

Brian, Yes, though I'm not as good at the puzzling poems as are lots of people.
Elaine, Thanks for visiting my blog. Yours is very good.