Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hypocrisy

From Blog11


I hate my hypocrisy
The all's-well smile
The pious look
That often has hidden
A heart where demons
Were frequent visitors
Or ruled the night

Forgive me for wanting
My reputation
More than your glory
My pride
More than your holiness

Drive out the devil
Banish his minions
Flood to the full
And heal my heart whole

Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin!

(Psalm 51:2 ESV)

I wrote this after reading a friend's courageous Facebook post about his struggles with particular sins. In writing it, though, I was thinking of my sins, not his.

4 comments:

Elaine said...

I really like this Jim, from the choice of the photograph to the excellent choice of words. The dark language really draws the reader in. Well done!

Jim Swindle said...

Thank you, Elaine. I really was writing for myself more than for others. I really respect my friend's honesty.

dfish said...

I John 1:9 makes it clear that forgiveness depends on giving up our hypocrisy. Great poem.

Promising Poets Parking Lot said...

Greetings, how are you?
Write a free verse 4 Poets Rally, enjoy poetic friends, you are invited!

Hope to see you in,

Love your poetry talent and looking forward to a profound experience with your input.

Cheers.
xoxox

an old poem will work as well.