Sunday, February 20, 2011

Odd Churches

From Blog11

Thanks be to God
For churches odd
Who worship wrong
With weirdest song...
Who sit or stand
In ways unplanned;
Whose teaching's strange,
Beyond my range.

Whatever's done
Through Christ, God's son,
Is for the Lord,
And he'll reward
Those churches odd
Who serve our God.

For the one who is not against us is for us.
--Jesus, in Mark 9:40

Notes: What's odd to me may not be odd to you, and vice-versa. It IS important what churches believe and how they worship. There are limits beyond which they cannot go, if they are faithful to the Lord. Yet those limits certainly extend beyond my denomination, and they often extend beyond my comfort range. My guess is that at least one of the churches pictured seems odd to you, but the one that's odd to you may not be odd to the next reader of this post.

From Blog 11 Added Illustrations


From Blog11

6 comments:

dfish said...

Far too often,we find ourselves straining at a gnat, and swallowing a camel, as Jesus described.

Good post.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

What a great poem and thought! I love them both, and expressed so deftly!

Actually, I've always rejoiced at the denominational worship variations and have found none of them reprehensible, though some I would find difficult to consider worship in the way I have been brought up.

What always grabs me is the love, not the style of worship, that I find in most churches, no matter where I go.

Christ is one, the Church is one, and one is the saving faith of the Only Begotten Son and Word of God.

Jim Swindle said...

Thank you, dfish and Romanós, for the perceptive comments.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

BTW, I forgot to mention, I featured this poem at my blog, with a link back here.

http://cost-of-discipleship.blogspot.com/2011/02/odd-churches.html

Lona said...

THANK YOU Jim! You are always a blessing to me [Romnos too!].

Jim Swindle said...

Lona, thanks for the encouragement. Any blessing comes from the Lord.
Romanós, it's an honor to be quoted.