Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Pavement Here and There

From Blog11


As I walk this aged street,
Stone and bricks beneath my feet
Have a beauty; strong and old...
But they're not the street of gold.

Will I walk a street of gold?
Will I sing a never-old,
Joyous, fresh and holy song
That will last the ages long?

If not that, then something more!
There's no limit to God's store.
Holy gifts flow from his throne,
Piled-up blessings for his own.

Yet the finest gift I'll see
Won't be things he's saved for me.
Here's the greatest gift of grace:
Simply seeing his own face!

And the twelve gates were twelve pearls, each of the gates made of a single pearl, and the street of the city was pure gold, transparent as glass.
--Revelation 21:21

Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.
--1 John 3:2

Are the promises of the New Jerusalem quite literal? My conviction is that if they are not, then there will be something even better than the literal--something for which our words and our thoughts are not adequate. I would desire for you, my reader, to qualify for entry. Eternal life and the New Jerusalem are a gift to all who turn from sin and who trust in Jesus. Will you?

For other people's pavement thoughts, click here.

14 comments:

Reflections said...

Beautiful meaningful words, songlike in form. Nice.

Doctor FTSE said...

I cannot share your convictions, Jim, but always admit your sincerity.

Elaine said...

Lovely, flowing and melodic, but I have one question. When you refer to seeing God's face...do we ever get to "see" him? Isn't Jesus the only visible member of the Godhead?
I have tackled the question of what God looks like in my Portrait Series, but I'm not sure we'll ever get to see God will we?

dfish said...

I think God only described the simplest most basic things because we have no concept of the rest. I Corinthians 2:9 states, "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." We can't even imagine what it will really be like.

gautami tripathy said...

Flowingly beautiful...

uneven

Kathe W. said...

we may walk different paths but I believe there is a universality in wanting to do well and to be a good person ...not in the materialistic sense but in the spiritual sense. Well done.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

I don't want to jump the gun on Jim's response, Elaine, but what you wrote, that Jesus is the only visible member of the Godhead, is quite correct, because Jesus says so in the scriptures. The few times when God was said to be seen in the OT, the Church generally believes were appearances of The Divine Word before He became a man. I am here reminded of that remarkable passage in Exodus 24:9-11...

Moses went up with Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy elders of Israel. They saw the God of Israel beneath whose feet there was, it seemed, a sapphire pavement pure as the heavens themselves. He laid no hand on these notables of the sons of Israel: they gazed on God. They ate and they drank.

Tess Kincaid said...

Lovely.

Jim Swindle said...

Reflections, thanks.
Doctor FTSE, I really appreciate you stopping by again and appreciate your honest comment.
Elaine and dfish and Romanós, I think you're all correct. We'll see Jesus, who's fully God, as he is. We'll be in the presence of the Father also, and I presume that the Spirit will be almost-tangibly present within us and among us. Exactly what will be seen is not yet fully revealed.
Gautami Tripathy I appreciate the encouragement.
Kathe W, yes, many people want to be better people. I'm not the judge of who will get into the New Jerusalem, but the Lord is, and he's revealed his standard and his gift in the Bible. In short, he says none of us are good enough on our own, but that he's given his Son, who IS good enough, to be the way for those who trust and follow him.

Thanks, Kathe and each one, for your comments. I'm running slow on reading others' blogs, partly because of extra things that must be done due to the cold weather. I realize that it's much colder elsewhere, with loads of snow and ice.

Jingle said...

As I walk this aged street,
Stone and bricks beneath my feet
Have a beauty; strong and old...
But they're not the street of gold.

..

Classical lines, well done.

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, Jingle.

Carrie Burtt said...

So much truth paved and molded with beautiful writing....i love this Jim! :-)

Kristen Haskell said...

It is a precious poem and I hope that my mother is seeing God's face now.

Jim Swindle said...

Carrie Burtt, I'm glad you liked it.
Kristen Haskell, the promises are solid. All who truly trust Jesus will enter his kingdom.