Thursday, February 17, 2011

Would You Love Me?

From Blog11


Would you love me once you'd seen
That my feet were big and green?
Would you love me if my nose
Was all crooked, bunched in rows?

Could you love the kind of fellow
Who had fingers bright and yellow?
Will you love me when I'm old
And I'm wrinkled, or I mold?

If you can't see past my skin,
I don't want to let you in.
Can you see what's down inside?
Tell me. I don't want to hide.

For the Lord sees not as man sees:
man looks on the outward appearance,
but the Lord looks on the heart.

--1 Samuel 16:7

Poem and photo ©2011 James L. Swindle

6 comments:

Chrissy said...

Wonderful... this is an inspiring read!

Promising Poets Parking Lot said...

beautiful.

your words are divine.

dfish said...

Far too often we don't look beyond the outside appearance and are taken in by evil or ignore the good.

Great poem.

versical said...

Great poem, very true in what it says.Here's one I did a while back on the same kind of subject. God Bless, Mike.


RAHAB

Rahab was a prostitute
The lowest of the low
Normally you'd sum her up
As someone not to know
Judgemental as we tend to be
We'd love to put her down
But God could see into her heart
He wrapped her in His gown.

By thinking of her family
She quickly made a deal
If she could get the spies away
Their lives would be repealed
So think the best of everyone
Find out what makes them tick
God loves the heart and not the sin
Let's help to heal the sick.

nothinghypothetical.com said...

My apologies Jim. I didn't notice that you had fallen off my blog roll. Put you back on :)

Jim Swindle said...

Chrissy, thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the encouragement.
asterhealthsource, you're welcome to read here and to comment, but not to post ads for your business. I'm removing your comment.
Promising Poets, thanks.
dfish, You're right about our gullibility.
versical, thanks very much for sharing the poem about Rahab. I'm not sure how eagerly many of our churches would welcome her.
nothinghypothetical, no hard feelings here. I'm glad you're writing again. You're gifted, my friend.